Choosing a Counselor
How do I choose an LPC if I need help?
- Contact your insurance carrier to help you identify LPCs who are covered by your insurance in your area. Make sure you ask about in-network vs. out-of-network coverage. In addition, consider asking how many sessions are covered. An average number for counseling sessions is 6 to 10 sessions. However, the more you have available, the more opportunities you have to improve your mental health.
- Search Psychology Today at https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists?tr=Hdr_Brand. You can filter based on your location, insurance carrier, and/or treatment issues.
- If you do not have insurance, visit the following website to determine options offered by Tennessee: https://www.tn.gov/behavioral-health/mental-health-services/adults/behavioral-health-safety-net-.html
- Verify that the provider is licensed with the Tennessee Board of Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marital and Family Therapists and Licensed Pastoral Therapists by clicking on the following website: https://apps.health.tn.gov/Licensure/default.aspx.
- Once you have identified a counselor, consider the following:
- Ask the counselor about their beliefs regarding the helping process.
- Be ready to talk openly and honestly about the issues/concerns in your life that are causing you distress.
- Ask about the logistics of the process (length of appointments, how to get started).