The Tennessee Board for Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marital and Family Therapists, and Licensed Clinical Pastoral Therapists requires continuing education (CE) for licensed professional counselors. The number of CEs depends on the number of licenses held. For professionals who hold the LPC only, twenty (20) clock hours are required over a 2-year period. For professionals who hold more than one license, the number of CEs increases. For more information about information about the Board CE policy, see Section 0450-01-.12 CONTINUING EDUCATION at https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/rules/0450/0450-01.20200402.pdf.
LPC/MHSP licensees are required to complete the following:
- Three (3) clock hours of the twenty (20) clock hour every 2 years must pertain to one of the following: (a) Professional ethics; (b) Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 63, Chapter 22; and/or (c) Official Compilation, Rules and Regulations of the State of Tennessee, Chapter 0450-01.
- Two (2) clock hours of the twenty (20) clock hours every 4 years must pertain to suicide prevention/assessment/intervention training as required under the “Kenneth and Madge Tullis, MD, Suicide Prevention Training Act.”
- For supervisors, three (3) clock hours of the twenty (20) clock hour every 2 years must pertain to supervision topics.
Of the 20 hours, 10 hours must be live events, which is defined as in-person sessions. Live virtual events and/or webinars are considered multi-media as defined in the rules.
According to the Board policy, “Acceptable continuing education shall consist of master or doctoral level course work from a nationally or regionally accredited institution of higher education; attendance at educational events sponsored or approved by national, state, regional, or local professional associations in the field; or events related to the practice of the profession for which a nationally or regionally accredited institution of higher education grants CEUs.”
Important note: The continuing education schedule is not on your biennial licensure renewal cycle but a calendar year. For example, the CE cycle runs January 1st to December 31st. See the attached letter for more information about the CE cycle.
TLPCA is a National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP No. 6376), which allows all events to be approved to earn continuing education credits designed to meet requirements for professional licensure and/or certifications. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. As an ACEP, TLPCA is solely responsible for programming, including the awarding of NBCC credit.
Continuing Education Instructions
To receive your continuing education certificate for attendance at a TLPCA training, you must complete an evaluation of the session. To access the evaluation, please follow the instructions below:
- Log in to TLPCA’s website. Use the username and password created when you signed up for your membership/guest account.
- Go to your Subscriptions.
- Click on the session title to access the evaluation. If you do not see the session that you attended, please allow at least 48 hours after attending, then reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download the PDF of the certificate – you will also be emailed a copy.
- Store safely for your records.