The Tennessee Board for Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marital and Family Therapists, and Licensed Clinical Pastoral Therapists requires continuing education (CE) for licensed professional counselors. The amount of CEs depends on the number of licenses held. For professionals who hold the LPC only, twenty (20) clock hours are required over a 2 year period. For professionals who hold more than one license, the amount of CEs increases. For more information about information about the Board CE policy, see Section 0450-01-.12 CONTINUING EDUCATION at https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/rules/0450/0450-01.20200402.pdf.
Of the 20 hours, 10 hours must be live events, which is defined as in-person sessions. Live virtual events and/or webinars are considered multi-media as defined in the rules.
According to the Board policy, “Acceptable continuing education shall consist of master or doctoral level course work from a nationally or regionally accredited institution of higher education; attendance at educational events sponsored or approved by national, state, regional, or local professional associations in the field; or events related to the practice of the profession for which a nationally or regionally accredited institution of higher education grants CEUs.”
TLPCA is a National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP No. 6376), which allows all events to be approved to earn continuing education credits designed to meet requirements for professional licensure and/or certifications. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. As an ACEP, TLPCA is solely responsible for programming, including the awarding of NBCC credit.
If you are not currently a member of TLPCA, you must first become one before registering for a training. Options to join, including our free Guest Membership, are available here – https://tlpca.net/become-a-member/. If you are a paid TLPCA member, most online training events are free of charge, with some of the exceptions being recorded sessions from the Counseling and Therapy Summits.
If you view any of the online sessions, in order to obtain your CE Certificate, you also will need to complete an online quiz and evaluation, which will contain several questions related to the session content.
To obtain your CE certificate, please follow the steps below:
- Login in to your TLPCA account – https://tlpca.net/member-log-in/
- Go to your Subscriptions page – https://tlpca.net/account-page/?action=subscriptions
- Select the course you attended. This will take you to the project page, which contains a link to the evaluation, or directly to the evaluation page.
- Complete the evaluation.
- When you have completed the evaluation, you can download the certificate. You will also receive the certificate via email. Please retain a copy for your records – you will NOT be able to access your certificates directly via the TLPCA website, though you may email us to request a copy of your certificate.
- For online sessions, you must obtain 80% on the quiz to receive your CE certificate so be sure to review the session materials if needed. You will have two (2) attempts to pass the quiz.