The Counselor will provide therapeutic services to students enrolled in the Dickson County Middle and High Schools to maximize family well-being and the academic functioning of those students within the school and the community. The Counselor will utilize a brief, solution focused model to (1) assist individuals and families(including children) with mental health problems identify their needs, strengths and risk factors, and begin to develop a clearer understanding of the nature of their problems and beginning steps to address them, (2) assist individuals and families(including children) develop a mutual treatment plan and agree to a plan of action focusing on such issues as safety and self-care, family stabilization, life transition adjustment, breaking down problems into manageable parts, obtaining
medication or psychiatric assessment as needed, grieving past or current losses, and improving communication and other relationship skills, (3) assist individuals or families (including children) make positive changes as they work toward the outcome of improved management or resolution of their mental health problems, and (4) assist individuals or families (including children) in meeting
performance targets as detailed in their respective treatment plans. Other service provision of services includes, providing training and/or consultation to faculty or volunteers on general mental health or therapeutic topics, on an as needed basis. Travel is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide crisis response and brief, solution focused counseling to students and families when appropriate.
• Refer students and their families, when appropriate, to licensed drug and alcohol treatment centers, domestic
violence shelters, and other community treatment centers, or long-term therapeutic service agencies as
• Employ a strengths based and participant goal oriented approach in their work to facilitate participant self-empowerment and sufficiency
• Develop and modify treatment plans, as needed, to address the needs of the client.
• Make accurate assessments and develop and implement effective treatment plans.
• Evaluate treatment progress and outcomes with the client during and at the end of treatment.
• Provide in-home therapeutic or supportive services as needed
• Facilitate/Co-facilitate psychoeducational, support and/or therapeutic groups as needed.
• Establish and maintain an effective treatment relationship with students and their families when providing direct services.
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with other mental health providers who may provide services to the students and families at Dickson County Middle and High Schools.
• Regular attendance during school hours and reliable transportation required.
Requirements: This position requires a Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counselor or related field with 2-3 years of working with children and families from diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Licensed or license eligible preferred.
Submit resume and salary requirements to:
Family & Children’s Service
Family & Children’s Service (F&CS) serves all people in crisis and transition by meeting them where they are, understanding their needs, and connecting them to the resources they need. F&CS often ‘fills in the gaps’ in social services, creating a safety net to ensure that all children and families can be safe and healthy. Each year we provide services to more than 50,000 Tennesseans. Our mission is to connect individuals and families to hope, to healing, and to one another.